RetroShare over Tor Hidden Services

Feature requests for RetroShare

RetroShare over Tor Hidden Services

Postby coyotama » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:52 pm

I hereby request urgently that automatic configuration of Tor and a Tor Hidden Service by RetroShare by supported officially by the RetroShare development team.

I also request that the very basic dependancies for such a feature also be supported, namely:

1) SOCKS5 proxy support

2) Remote DNS resolution of RS peers over SOCKS5

3) Official adoption of Tor as an optional but recommended underlying transport layer for RS

I also hereby request that some unrelated but highly recommended features be implemented:

1) Kademalia DHT for finding "public RS servers"

2) Gossip protocol between trusted RS identities to (re)-discover address:port pairs of existing peers when addresses and/or computers inevitably change

3) End-to-End Onion Routing and Automatic Discovery (which would be easier with Tor as the transport layer, btw!)

TorChat allows you to automagically configure tor hidden services to be reachable even behind restrictive firewalls in many diverse network configurations.

TorChat uses Pidgin's ability to configure SOCKS5 proxies in order to know where Tor is. TorChat is automagical and yet P2P (serverless) in it's own design, while using the tor network of relays for being very reachable even in circumstances where tunneling directly to each other would be impossible.

Right now, RetroShare has severe usability problems which hinder its adoption.

You can NOT automagically configure port forwarding in RS, you can NOT use a friend to relay your connections, you can NOT onion route through a darknet of RS servers, so far as i am aware.

RS does NOT allow you to connect with RS peers unless you manually and painfully configure each and every publically visible ip address and port for every peer, and you can NOT gossip these addresses with even the most trusted nodes (i.e., yourself on another computer)

RS shows a lot of promise, but while this "manual labor and suffering == security :D" paradigm is being enforced, RS will NEVER be adopted.

In the short term, until RS evolves and matures, a quick and dirty way to force RS to be accessible anywhere is to use torify or similar to intercept connections from retroshare and allow for socks5 proxying.

Assuming RS even supports DNS resolution of peers (which it may not, it would not surprise me!) you can connect to peers using Tor's Location-Hidden Services allowing a slower but more anonymous RS network to evolve.

I have no idea why the RS community believes Tor is "insecure" because there are very VERY high profile Tor Hidden Services out there which have never been successfully attacked or taken down using any theoretical weakness within Tor itself.

If anything, RS really needs an anonymity layer, or RS will forever be relegated to the dustbin of irrelevancy.

The only reason I even bother taking precious time out of my day to request this is because I believe that the RetroShare developers will ultimately see why there are so few RS users compared to the vast many who try RS and immediately delete it when it becomes apparent the thing is unusable in its current state.

Lastly, I request that the RetroShare developers drop this silly "you must be capable of accepting incoming tcp connections to be worthy of having security" mindset. it is silly.
coyotama

Re: RetroShare over Tor Hidden Services

Postby Distro » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:26 pm

What drug are you on?
Distro

Postby coyotama » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:01 am

Distro wrote:What drug are you on?

you probably havent heard of it.
coyotama

Postby Svampen » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:06 am

coyotama wrote:
Distro wrote:What drug are you on?

you probably havent heard of it.

Hey, I bumped into some of your writings yesterday, when I was reading about SecuShare, PSYC, trying to find Friendica-related discussions about them. So I actually understand your reply better than most here ;)
Anyway, I hope you get on the chat server, there you can make some friends and get on the chat lobby retroshare-devel where you can talk with the devs (note: European timezones).
Svampen

Postby Svampen » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:25 am

https://anonukire.wordpress.com/2012/12 ... comment-64
AnonUKIre says:
December 26, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Yes. We are working looking at TOR enabled add-on, speaking to TOR and RS over coming days to work out how a future release of RS would be TOR enabled.
Svampen

Postby Boldhawk » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:16 am

I used to use TOR from China. It worked quite well for a time, until the censors found out that the servers and/or relays were easily obtained in the TOR website. Then, TOR set up to get "relays" which one could obtain by writing an email which was automatically replied with three or so relays. This too worked well for a time, until they caught up with it, and after that, I could use TOR for about 3 days, after which, it no longer worked.

I now use a VPN connections, and I've rarely had any problems. So, TOR an an optional add on, is probably a good idea, but not included as an automatic feature. Users should be able to choose.

Thank you.
Boldhawk

Return to Feature Requests