RS on multiple devices: Auto-Discovery & wrong expectations?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.

RS on multiple devices: Auto-Discovery & wrong expectations?

Postby ben » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:07 pm

I'm running RS 0.5.5c and I'm having a few problems understanding the auto-discovery and decentralized character of RetroShare:

This is what I'd expect:
  • After importing my private key to other PCs, my friends should become available w/o the need to import their keys again
  • Content should be synchronized/available on a PCs equally (E-Mails, Chat, Forums, Files,...). I should see the same content on all of my devices.

This is what I actually experience:
  • It seems that I do have to manually accept myself as friend. I appear in the friendlist
  • New RS locations do not know anything about my friends known on my other devices. Sometimes I get notifications about unknown neighbors (known to my other device), but w/o the option to directly accept/import them. I have to manually recommend my friends to myself and accept them manually again, though I signed them on the other devices
  • E-Mails and other content does not synchronize over my different devices. I have to switch devices to get an overview on all the messages/content I received.

Do I have wrong expectations? Actually it's basically driven from my UX i.e. of Skype, where regardless of your device they all share the same message history & contact list.

Or do I miss something here?
ben

Re: RS on multiple devices: Auto-Discovery & wrong expectati

Postby Distro » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:32 pm

Yes, this is how Retroshare works.

I agree that ability to synchronize (friends, messages, status of messages (read/unread)…) would be great. But it should be optional, because for example I do not want to have the same friends on my two locations.

Having to manually add yourself as a friend is kinda required because there is no central server to keep all your (private) information like with Skype… (Unless something could be done with the DHT; I don’t know.)

I don’t know if work has been made in Retroshare 0.6 to improve things in that regard.
Distro

Postby ben » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:23 pm

Thanks Distro, for your timely reply!

Just to clarify: I was not expecting that my data is somewhere centrally stored. Just that it is exchanged if both devices are online at the same time.
Would be great if someone knows if 0.6 will bring any chances for this use case.
ben

Postby heini » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:14 am

Distro wrote:I don’t know if work has been made in Retroshare 0.6 to improve things in that regard.

No, there has been no work in 0.6 to change this, yet. Have opened a feature request for this last November.

Bye...

Dirk
heini

Return to General RetroShare discussion