Unexpected entry in the 'Known / Previous IPs' list

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.

Unexpected entry in the 'Known / Previous IPs' list

Postby boba » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:50 am

Is it possible/normal that an IP address which I never used appear in that list?

And if yes, how come?

Thx!
B.
Last edited by boba on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
boba

Re: Unexpected entry in the 'Known / Previous IPs' list

Postby boba » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:50 am

Some precisions : attached the Options > Server screen that I am writing about. The second external IP (the one that can be seen on the screenshot) is not the one of my installation, and in my current settings I have used only one (static) IP. Whois points to a server in Russia which is used in a "free public VPN" experiment from a Japanese university, and has been spotted elsewhere as potential spammer. Is there some connection method in Retroshare that would explain why this IP is on my list of known IPs? How to take it out? Can it be malicious?

Thank you,
B.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (114.99 KiB) Viewed 4146 times
boba

Postby boba » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:59 pm

I just realized that the default config of RS being 'DHT & Discovery', this external IP might simply have been allocated by a remote bootstrap server when first trying to connect - before I could forward ports and change the settings to Private (Discovery only). Could anyone confirm it though?

I now understand better the discussion about Tor+RS and having static IPs sent over the internet by default. I am not planning to use Tor but I can't help feeling that Darknet (or Private) should be the default option.

That said, if any dev reads this: thank you ever much for your sustained efforts and for this great serverless, user-empowering, privacy tool. Really. Thumbs up.

B.
boba

Postby cave » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:38 pm

thx for update
cave

Return to General RetroShare discussion