The point of some RS features?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.

The point of some RS features?

Postby rndbit » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:47 pm

I am confused about the point of some RS features. Maybe someone could clear this out?

As i understand RS is F2F type of software. Wiki says this:
A friend-to-friend (or F2F) computer network is a type of peer-to-peer network in which users only make direct connections with people they know.

1. Anonymous forums - this makes no sense. If we have to know people we communicate to then why would we want to be anonymous among our friends?
2. Anonymous file transfer - again this makes no sense since we know people we communicate to, whats the point to hide your ip from a friend? There probably could be cases where that is desired, but they would be rare ones. I have not seen anywhere an option that would enable direct (notice how 'direct' spells almost exactly as 'fast' except with 2 letters less and 4 letters different?) file transfers between person and friends / friend of friends / etc.
rndbit

Re: The point of some RS features?

Postby Arceliar » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:45 pm

You only make direct connections with people you know. Both of those features are primarily for communicating and sharing with people you connect to indirectly (e.g. friends of friends, friends of friends of friends, and so on, up to 6 layers deep).
Arceliar

Postby rndbit » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:43 am

thats odd. because if it is so then my NAT<->NAT solution should be supporting files too. now all it did was requesting turtle routing sessions and downloads did not work of course. that makes me HMMMM :]
rndbit

Postby kamisaka » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:10 pm

My concept of the program is this. If you have swapped keys with somebody they are now your friend. Friends of friends are not friends, but you can see them inside the program. Unless your a direct friends the only means to communicate with anybody else is via public chat or forum, or via anonymous connections. I can swap files with friends of friends but only via anon search & anon turtle hopping, but with a friend I can browse and selected files directly. We get the best of direct connect and more wide open anonymous sharing.
kamisaka

Return to General RetroShare discussion