Tor2NonTor Connections

*nix specific usage questions

Tor2NonTor Connections

Postby Stavros » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi, i am new in retroshare. I setup retroshare with tor. I set everything and as i see inside options panel tor is working. I need to ask if there is possible to connect with another user that he didn't connect through Tor Network.
When i try it returns me an error message that DHT is OFF. I read that DHT takes time to go green so i wait, but still there is no possible.
* There is no option to turn on DHT in options panel. I assume that this happend because i connect through tor.

So, is there possible to have this kind of connection, tor client to non tor client ?

------------Just in case--------------------
ArchLinux x64
vDSL line

Regard's
Stavros
Attachments
rs.png
rs.png (126.83 KiB) Viewed 5145 times
Stavros

Re: Tor2NonTor Connections

Postby Distro » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:58 pm

Hi Stavros

If you have configured a hidden Tor node then all your friends must be running Tor to be able to connect to your node. They do not need to have hidden nodes themselves, but the Tor service must be running, and the correct port for Tor must be configured in their options.

The DHT is disabled for Tor hidden nodes because that would leak your IP address to the world. It is also not useful because your friends connect to you with the Tor onion address.
Distro

Re: Tor2NonTor Connections

Postby Stavros » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:51 pm

Hi Distro, you cover my question. Thank you very much :)
Stavros

Return to RetroShare for Linux and friends