RetroShare Chat Server question

Mac OS X specific usage questions

RetroShare Chat Server question

Postby KAC » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:10 am

Greetings!

I've just downloaded and installed RetroShare on a MacBook Pro (OS 10.9.2) and have attempted to connect with the Chat Server. While I have been able to communicate with another person using RetroShare, whenever I attempt to copy/paste my key into the box, I receive a notice indicating, "Your Key is not correct! Copy-paste your ENTIRE KEY, including -----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----, -----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----, --SSLID-- and --LOCATION--.Please go back and try again."

Suggestions? Help? What is the significance of the failed registration?

Thanks in advance!

KAC
KAC

Re: RetroShare Chat Server question

Postby Distro » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:24 pm

So, are you pasting your entire key?
Distro

Postby KAC » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:47 pm

Yes. Copied and re-copied to the clipboard and pasted (several times) and also exported/imported. Tried both URLs for the Chat Server, too.

Perhaps I should simply generate a new set of keys. Is it possible to do that and, if it is, can you please advise on how to do that (new user, obviously!).

Thanks in advance,
KAC
KAC

Postby Distro » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:15 pm

Generating new keys will not change anything.

Just to be clear, the key you are pasting into the chat server web form does contain all the things the error message mentions?
Distro

Postby KAC » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:53 pm

Yes. Everything. Here it is and many thanks for your help!
KAC

Postby Distro » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:17 pm

Try using another browser, it might solve the problem.
Distro

Postby KAC » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:25 pm

I've tried Whitehat Aviator, Chrome and (just now) Safari. No luck with any of them, but the Safari message is the most bizarre. It reads, "Safari can't open the specified address. Safari can't open "retroshare://certificate? And also, "There is no application set to open the URL retroshare://certificate? Seems like it's time to abandon this effort.

One more question before I go: How can it be confirmed that RetroShare is actually encrypting messages? My only correspondent has exchanged (successfully) messages with me, but they appear in clear text. I assume the program encrypts and automatically de-crypts (right?) but how can one confirm that encryption actually occurred?

Thanks!

KAC
KAC

Postby Distro » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:14 pm

Whitehat Aviator uses Chromium code so it should be essentially the same as Chrome. Also last time I checked Safari and Chrome both used webkit (according to the wikipedia page Google forked webkit last year). Firefox might give you a better result. (I’m not just throwing ideas here, it has been noticed a long time ago that Chrome had problems with the certificates, see I use Chrome and I get an invalid certificate error when I paste a key I got from the web)

“can't open "retroshare://certificate?”… that’s because you clicked on a retroshare:// link… Do you mean that you reached the second stage of the chat server subscription? This is obviously not caused by copying and pasting your certificate…

Everything you exchange with your friends is encrypted (with SSL or similar) during the network transfer.
Distro

Postby KAC » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:02 pm

Thank you for the detailed reply. I'll try Firefox.

Regarding your second point, I have consistently received two messages from the Chat Server: "Captcha code incorrect" (when it is correct) and the previously mentioned notice that the key isn't correct. A couple of times, I received a message about "Hold your horses Speedy Gonzales. The server accepts a key every 10 minutes" (or words to that effect), but the Chat Server never appears, so I assume something went wrong.

In any event, my goal was to test that I was using RetroShare correctly and also to be sure the program is actually encrypting my messages (since, as I mentioned in my last posting, they appear to go out and come back from the only person - my wife - that I've tried this with in plain text). I'm still not certain of either of these points.

Thanks,
KAC
KAC

Postby cave » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:01 am

please tell me the chatserver you are using.

How is the format of your key?

old format: Begin of .... End of ...

new format is Base64 encoded.
The new format is not supported by the chatserver frontend at the moment.

you can PM me
cave

Return to RetroShare for MAC OS X