MacGPG vs. GPGTools

Mac OS X specific usage questions

MacGPG vs. GPGTools

Postby ejtttje » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:28 am

I notice the Mac download of Retroshare includes MacGPG. I decided to confirm whether this is the latest version, but the website (http://macgpg.sourceforge.net/) indicates development has been folded into the GPGTools toolset. So I installed MacGPG1 from GPGTools instead and it seems to be working fine. Any reason why this shouldn't be used?

Perhaps the Retroshare download should be updated to use this?
http://www.gpgtools.org/macgpg1/index.html

Thanks!
ejtttje

Re: MacGPG vs. GPGTools

Postby jbrown » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:35 pm

I had MacGPG v2 installed previously (GPGTools). Version 2 works fine with RetroShare keys. My RS key however says that it was generated by RetroShare using MacGPG v1. Don't know why.
jbrown

Postby Retro-User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:15 am

This message is also posted in (RetroShare seems to quit after login)

If you are using a gpg key size larger than 1024 and any other Algorithm other than DSA and Elgamal retroshare will crash after attempting to log in.

Mac GPG used the RSA and RAS Algorithm by default but you can chose DSA and Elgama as an option.

The GPG client GnuPG1.4.9 that ships with the RetroShare.dmg uses DSA and Elgamal as it's default Algorithm.

*To summarize you MUST use a key size of 1024 and the DSA and Elgamal Algorithm and have otherwise Retroshare will crash after login.*

Hope this helps..
Retro-User

Postby Retro-User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:26 am

jbrown wrote:I had MacGPG v2 installed previously (GPGTools). Version 2 works fine with RetroShare keys. My RS key however says that it was generated by RetroShare using MacGPG v1. Don't know why.

The comment "generated by RetroShare using MacGPG v1" is a default Comment Generated when you make your GPG key using retroshare.

When you make a GPG key using either MacGPG or GnuPG you have the option to ass a comment but it isn't necessary.
Retro-User

Postby Retro-User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:39 am

Revised Final August 27 2012

I think I may have stumbled upon the solution to why Retroshare is crashing after start-up.. I've posted this here because I thought it might be useful here also.

If you are generating your GPG keys through MacGPG make your key size either 1024 or 2048 and use the Algorithm DSA and Elgamal or RSA (sign only).

*The default RSA and RSA Algorithm will cause Retroshare to crash when attempting to log in when generating your keys through MacGPG. The Algorithm DSA (sign only) will produce the error (Failed to load your new certificate)*

MacGPG used the RSA and RAS Algorithm by default but you can chose DSA and Elgamal or RSA (sign only) when generating your keys.

Follow the same instructions as above if you are using GnuPG 1.4.9 that ships with the RetroShare.dmg

If you use Retroshare to generate your GPG keys the default Algorithm is RSA (sign only) and the size Key size will be 2048.

If you need instructions about how to set up and use MacGPG or GnuPG please ask. I'm happy to oblige.

Hope this helps..
Retro-User

Return to RetroShare for MAC OS X