Strangers requesting to be friends?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.

Strangers requesting to be friends?

Postby dkg » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:28 am

Anyone else continuously get mail and news feeds with stranger asking to be friends? I've got about 5 who are obviously on some sort of auto system as they send requests about every 20 minutes. I don't know these people and am concerned that on a secure platform I should be having to fend off total strangers. I don't see any ability in the program to block they unwanted requests.

I don't see a lot of answers to questions here. Do any of the developers answer questions here? Never got any answer to an actual support request either. Well crossing fingers.

Win7 / RS v6 / Rsv5.5c also
dkg

Re: Strangers requesting to be friends?

Postby cave » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:46 am

hi,

right, most questions are answered online in the dev chat.

if strangers are knocking on your door, ignore them.

The e-mail which is sent to you when a stranger knocks on your door, is actually not sent by the stranger.
its sent from your node to your inbox to inform a stranger has knocked. you can disable this kind of message.
i have disabled it, because it annoys me more often compared to the time when its usefull to see a friend knocking.

if you do not add him to your friendlist, there won't be any data exchange between you and the stranger.

Just ignore any strangers knocking on your ip address. there are hundreds of strangers out there, which try all the time to open ssh logins by brute-force or other stuff on the net.

I'am also using direct port forwards in my IPv4 Nat net at home. And i see also this behaviour, especially if i post my RS-Key to public forums or chatrooms. Exchanging RS-Keys in private helps a lot. temp pastebins like 0bin and zerobin services help a lot.

How to reproduce a "Stranger" connecting to your node.

if you use the command "openssl s_client -connect IPv4:PORT" against localhost:PORT or any other IP Address, you can trigger this stranger connect also.
The open Port Check tool from https://retroshare.rocks/ is working like that.
if it finds RetroShare running on that port, its probing the server and reporting information like the name or ssl-pub-key.
your node will report a random stranger connect attempt without supplying his name.
cave

Return to RetroShare for Windows