Outbox message has From: unknown (needs decryption)

If you want to help the RetroShare team and project, you can do some small tasks. Designers, testers, translators, please come...
Forum rules
Please read the forum's rules carefully before posting. This forum should not be used to post RetroShare usage related questions.

Outbox message has From: unknown (needs decryption)

Postby ergeb » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:49 am

I cannot read messages that I sent myself.

When I click on a message in my Outbox (one that I sent myself), I see:

"This message is encrypted. Click the right button to decrypt it."

The From field has: "unknown (needs decryption)".

Clicking the Decrypt button produces a pop-up box stating:

"This message could not be decrypted."

Question: What should I do to be able to read my own sent messages?

I'm running RetroShare 0.5.5c under OS X 10.10 (14A389) / Darwin 14.0.0.
ergeb

Re: Outbox message has From: unknown (needs decryption)

Postby Distro » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:32 pm

That’s not practical, but it makes sense: a distant message is encrypted with the public PGP key of the recipient, so that only them can decrypt it with their private PGP key.

(Note that I don’t know what RS does exactly, I’m just guessing that the encryption is done at the time you click to "send" the message, and not when it actually leaves your computer.)

In case you don’t know it already, you can send un-encrypted messages to your friends if you select a location as the recipient (selecting “Only show people you trust” ensures only locations are listed.)
Distro

Re: Outbox message has From: unknown (needs decryption)

Postby teslaStinker » Mon May 25, 2015 8:25 pm

you should read them from your sent box, not from your inbox. its just showing they are encrypted when sent, they come back at you. there may be a switch in options or preferences, to disable that part, so they dont show. I just delete them. For they are always kept in the deleted folder anyway. something I dont look at to often. :lol:
teslaStinker

Return to Contribute and help the RetroShare project