Speed Problem [Solution]???

If you want to help the RetroShare team and project, you can do some small tasks. Designers, testers, translators, please come...
Forum rules
Please read the forum's rules carefully before posting. This forum should not be used to post RetroShare usage related questions.

Speed Problem [Solution]???

Postby ByTheTime » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:11 pm

Hey Guys :)
I think RetroShare is an awesome Project, I really like (to use) it. And its still a beta so I look forward to some awesome features... But there is !1! thing, I don't like: The Speed! I know, it's not the fault of RS, because the most users have slow upload like 100kb/s. Now I want to ask something: Would it be theoretically possible to use the "Torrent-Technice"? This is my example:

A<-->B (Friends)
B<-->C (Friends)
A and C are not directly in Contact (only over B)

A shares a 350MB big File with 100kb/s upload rate
B downlaods the file (about 1h)
Now C sees the file at B's shared files (when he shares it to) and tries to download it --> Now B redirects him to A (Friend to Friedn-Tunnel)
So C is able to download the file with 100kb/s from A and 100kb/s (more or less). Download with 200kb/s --> 1/2h

See? So Retroshare gets much faster.
Would it be theoretically possible to use the "Torrent-Technice"?
Would it be theoretically possible to code the "Torrent-Technice" in RetroShare?

I would like to help and test/create some features at home, but my programming language is not C++,iIt's Delphi and the skills are only on a mid level :/

Greetings,
Lukas
ByTheTime

Re: Speed Problem [Solution]???

Postby Distro » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:53 pm

If B is already using all its bw to send the file to C, there is nothing left for the tunnel from A to C. The only way to speed up the transfer is if there is another path between A and C, or if A and C become friends.
Distro

Postby ByTheTime » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:29 am

Hmmm, yes, I fogot... So its not able to connect directly and anonymous? From A-C without beging friends?
ByTheTime

Postby Distro » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:03 pm

Direct connections is the reason why eMule and BitTorrent are not anonymous... So, no.
Distro

Return to Contribute and help the RetroShare project