Android App for a secure communication

Android specific usage questions

Re: Android App for a secure communication

Postby electron » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:17 am

neagix wrote:Ok, I see where you stand, and I could do the same, but this is a different use-case than the one I was thinking about: usable for everybody without sucking too much battery. Perhaps it's not possible, but I'd like to frame the problem in its minimum terms

Don't get me wrong. I want a small simple and secure communication app for everyone. What i was trying to say is: mobile devices should stay offline as long as possible. Problem: how can you send a message to a device being offline, without waiting for it to come online? Big companies have central servers. We don't want central servers, so we have to create our own decentralized servers. This could be combined with storage of messages on trusted friends. Then only a few people would have to run a 24/7 node.
electron

Postby neagix » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:01 am

I am not convinced that this solution of a "backup 24/7 node" is valid. I am sorry but if it has to be decentralized, it has to be decentralized.

I will keep looking in options for this architecture
neagix

Postby Serie » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:04 am

How about using the option to use dynamic-dns?
One could advertise to use a dynamic-dns provider in the install dialog. Maybe with a list of free dns providers.
that way one would not have to use dht.
Its not the holy grail, but I think its better than having a programm that consumes too much power.

Having a friend with a 24/7 server is good, but there are (and will be) just a view people with this privilege.
Serie

Postby neagix » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:17 pm

Serie wrote:How about using the option to use dynamic-dns?
One could advertise to use a dynamic-dns provider in the install dialog. Maybe with a list of free dns providers.
that way one would not have to use dht.
Its not the holy grail, but I think its better than having a programm that consumes too much power.

Having a friend with a 24/7 server is good, but there are (and will be) just a view people with this privilege.

all options have some weakness in a way or another:

• using DHT => it's speculated that will consume lots RAM and power
  • using DHT at startup and wakeup => would make for an extremely weak network over DHT, since you are not participating when in sleep mode (and thus cannot be contacted if you are not "last seen" by anybody not in sleep mode
  • own 24/7 server, or a friend's 24/7 server => guys, >90% of people don't have a server and don't even know how to configure the home box for this purpose => this is an operational mode for just a few people, not for widespread adoption
  • dynamic DNS => adds another element to chain (a dynamic dns provider, with associated headaches) and some connections might be behind a NAT, making this unusable

Please note that I am enumerating all weaknesses so that discussion can focus on solutions or alternatives, I would like it to be constructive in that way.
neagix

Postby zunami » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:27 pm

how is it to build a decentralized BitTorrent DHT network messenger?

http://labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/ ... -chat.html
zunami

Postby z00p » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:56 pm

Could this be accomplished via an android VPN to a retroshare server, letting the server handle the DHT?
z00p

Previous

Return to RetroShare for Android