SVN Bugfix. for DHT.

Old SourceForge Discussion forum that is now archived. Please use one of the other forums.

SVN Bugfix. for DHT.

Postby Dr Bob » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:19 pm

If you've been using Retroshare compiled from SVN since mid-August. There has been a bug which switched off the DHT - this could have caused difficulties connecting to friends. Anyway it is now fixed!. So I'd recommend updating to the latest SVN and recompiling - for better DHT connectivity!.

DrBob.
Dr Bob

RE: SVN Bugfix. for DHT.

Postby stockpicker » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:36 pm

Hi Dr Bob,

is there any kind of visual indication in RetroShare GUI that shows whether DHT is working or not ?

Say, emule has a status line that says "Kad: Connecting" and then "Kad: Connected".
Is there anything similar in RetroShare ?
stockpicker

Postby CsoL » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:57 pm

Yeah, that would be cool actually., because it happens quite often that the DHT are down for instance and it always takes some time to realize why you can't connect.
CsoL

Postby Dr Bob » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:10 pm

I've added some more indicators of the Network state
to Preferences -> ServerDialog.

There is a DHT Okay box, which is checked once your Retroshare has managed to
get info about one peer via DHT. This is a bit crude at the moment - as DHT can be
on (but no peers online) and the box won't be checked... I'll try to improve it later.

DrBob.
Dr Bob

Postby jabber2 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:28 pm

Hi

what is currently the working or not working DHT?

opendht or kadC?

With a solution to only opendht i think it is the wrong horse.
OpenDht are all servers and if one is down the others are as well, we had the case.

A DHT means, to have an IP cache in the node using the DHT as well. That is rule number one to exist.
That seems to be missing in retroshare, if kadc is disabled and all is done over openDHT?!

Please make an IP cache and anable KadC as a second DHT.

and: the switch to PGP should have more priority than fiddling filesharing or blog and forums.. then better make networked games. But in spite of retromessenger gui project PGP should be in before a wider rollout is done.

Do the right (pgp) and make it fixed (dht with IP chache).

Thx.
jabber2

Return to Developers Corner - Archive