Locations having child keys of the master?

Technical RetroShare discussions Forum

Locations having child keys of the master?

Postby Pichu0102 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:41 am

Right now, and correct me if I'm wrong, you need to have your private key on every location you want to be seen from, have your friends see you and connect to you more easily from, etc. This could be dangerous, as if one of these machines is compromised, say, a server you install Retroshare on and use the same key so your friends can easily connect to it, then your entire key is compromised.
What I'm proposing is something more along the lines of the user creating a master key on their most secure location, and from there, issue child keys for each location, so if one location is compromised, the others aren't as well. I'm not sure how you would do this; perhaps make a master key that represents you, that signs child keys for each location, so that way they know those locations were signed by you (and can easily send out a warning if a location is compromised) and connect to them without putting the master key in jeopardy.
Obviously this would take a lot of time and effort, and we could do the same thing by just making a new key on every place we need and adding all the friends in all the different places, but that's quite user-unfriendly and might turn people away from Retroshare if they want to run it on, say, their home computer and their server. However, like I said, this would take a lot of time and effort to put into place, so feel free to ignore or place it way back on the back burner.

Return to Technical RetroShare discussion