Change name / move settings

Technical RetroShare discussions Forum

Change name / move settings

Postby pumuckl » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:05 pm

Hi all, I just discovered this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1641 [Avoid disclosing name in certificate?]

I tried it myself, and in fact anybody who knows my IP and the port RS is running on (bdboot.txt) can see the name I used while creating my account. I'm sure many users will have used their real name or something that can reveal their identity, because they would have assumed (like I did), that this information would only be visible to friends.
All somebody has to do is to connect with Firefox for example to https://IP:RS_PORT, and the name will be there as Common Name when the certificate is viewed.
I realize that nothing can be done about this, but is it possible to change the name, preferably without having to configure everything all over again?
Is there a way to use an existing profile with a new identity/certificate? Alternatively, what is the easiest way to get all the settings and shares into a new profile? Is it safe to copy everything over (without overwriting existing files in the new profile folder)?
Thanks in advance!
Ah, and the help text for the Name field in profile manager right now says: "[Required] Visible to your friends, and friends of friends.", which obviously isn't true. I will create a ticket for this.
pumuckl

Return to Technical RetroShare discussion