RetroShare over Tor

Feature requests for RetroShare

Re: RetroShare over Tor

Postby coyotama » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:26 pm

Veizar wrote:
But I would like to connect to other people, before I'm certain enough that they are friends worth to be selected. Because to decide about this, I have to communicate, and maybe even to cooperate, with them. So a network where I can connect only to friends is dangerous.

So, even if it makes sense to create f2f networks, they should allow me to preserve my pseudonymity.

I'm all in favor of screen names and pseudonyms.
The beauty of Retroshare's design is that if you are creating your own private social network and if you wish to include people you hate, go ahead.
...If you want to include government or censorship officials, go ahead.

I will have my own social network with my own small group of friends and we won't be a part of any of that.

I understand that you want to meet people and co-mingle but it's dangerous. And if you know someone who lives under an oppressive regime, by having no standards as to who can join your network, you are putting those friends in danger.

I was thinking that creating groups and clubs, separate from the person's main social network based on certain categorical criteria and a searchable database of them would be an interesting idea for finding new people to talk to however, again even that is risky.

You have two friends on RetroShare, good for you!!

How do you meet new friends? You dont. This "social network" of yours is missing features, namely, the "social" part.

Pure F2F darknets that have no way to discover NEW friends are completely useless.
coyotama

Postby Svampen » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:20 pm

coyotama wrote:How do you meet new friends? You dont.

But you do.
Svampen

Postby coyotama » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:59 pm

Svampen wrote:
coyotama wrote:How do you meet new friends? You dont.

But you do.

intriguing.
coyotama

Postby Lazee486 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:36 pm

tor doesnt just hide ips, i kinda use it for bypassing my annoying isp, blocks dht, most udp, and locks my router so i cant do port forwarding...route over tor and i have access again. not ideal but it works, :) there no way to port forward dht so it only option i have, tunneling and vpn works but i need another server outside, use works vpn for some but their router locked to, so id love tor tunneling, plus if you add tors ip address hiding with retroshare encryption with chat section you have reliable hidden and secure communication...perfect for people in conflict or censored areas...also unfortunately for bad people, but friends can watch who they add as was said earlier...imagine a squad overseas keeping in contact with family members in a group, support for families and friends. who said file sharing doesnt lead to good things :P
Lazee486

Postby Distro » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:08 am

Just so you know, Tor support has been implemented in the 0.6 branch of RetroShare which should be released in the coming months. I don’t know if DHT over Tor works but I think connecting to friends does.
Distro

Postby cave » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:24 pm

DHT over TOR is not needed anymore,

The name and the port of a hidden service is static.
Hence this, there is no need of UPnP, NAT UDP Hole Punching or DHT.

You can(SHOULD) set your Settings to Darknet&manual Portforwardings if you run RetroShare behind a Hidden TOR Service (v6.0 required).
cave

Postby hbasser » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:10 pm

It would be really useful if clients could reach each other via HTTPS proxy (using the CONNECT HTTP primitive). Many networks filter uncommon ports but enable HTTP-related ones, like 443. If RetroShare supported connecting via proxy, a RetroShare peer would be able to reach others behind a restricted network. There are a bunch of users who use RS on Windows, they can easily open the port 443. And if at least one client is present who has successfully opened port 443, the peers can connect to each other, then relaying can solve any further problems.

By the way, Skype uses this technique when it comes to restricted networks. :)
hbasser

Postby electron » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:07 am

hbasser wrote:It would be really useful if clients could reach each other via HTTPS proxy (using the CONNECT HTTP primitive).

http://wiki.freifunk.net/Ideas#RetroSha ... _Avoidance
electron

Previous

Return to Feature Requests