Feedback

Feature requests for RetroShare

Feedback

Postby matt248 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:16 am

Hello, I've been an user of RetroShare for more than a year... Ok here we go.

1. Performance: Call my crazy but one of the first thing I did was to index one of my 1TB hard drives. It was a disaster.
I prefer that RetroShare uses more memory instead of keeping a low ram usage but almost all time freeze. And in the future
Teras would be way cheaper than now so having the capability to deal with big data chuncks is important. I'd add
that instead of a full re-index each ten days, update only modified folders as Foobar does for it's local database.

2. Display Menu-bar. It is a "standard" Ui element and I would say it's worth the space it takes.

3. I particulary like Channels and they can be greatly improved. Instead of one view with big interface elements keep it instad or in addition like a tiny RSS Reader. Where there are several views: List would be that is displayed only the Title on the right and maybe a sign to indicate files or replies, the expand button and columns for author and date. A click on the title would expand and show the message along with comments. Other "views" could be newspaper or widescreen (the message/content to the left). Why for example the title of the channel is displayed on the right if it is already selected on the left?

4. Forums: could it work like a shared gmail where anyone can delete posts? it's way better than no one being able to moderate and clean.
Further can the "conversation" ui of gmail be used where replies are displayed after selecting the initial message.

Kind Regards,
Matt
matt248

Re: Feedback

Postby Distro » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:11 pm

Hi matt248

matt248 wrote:1. Performance: Call my crazy but one of the first thing I did was to index one of my 1TB hard drives. It was a disaster.
I prefer that RetroShare uses more memory instead of keeping a low ram usage but almost all time freeze. And in the future
Teras would be way cheaper than now so having the capability to deal with big data chuncks is important. I'd add
that instead of a full re-index each ten days, update only modified folders as Foobar does for it's local database.

RS does not re-hash all the files every 10 days, If it does there is a problem on your system (maybe a RS bug, maybe not). Also if you are saying that RS freezes while it hashes the shared files, it’s also something that does not happen for me (well, RS 0.6 freezes all the time, but not especially more while hashing).

2. Display Menu-bar. It is a "standard" Ui element and I would say it's worth the space it takes.

I agree but in the case of RS, what would you put in it? I’d rather get an option to remove the big icons of the toolbar in order to gain vertical space (RS always opens a window that is bigger than my screen).

3. I particulary like Channels

I hate channels because of their poor UI, so I agree it needs improvements… Remove the huge banner with the title of the channels that wastes so much vertical space, add a "Next unread" button like in the forums. I would like that. Oh and the hardcoded background colors must be removed or contrast-enhanced to respect the user’s theme.

4. Forums: could it work like a shared gmail where anyone can delete posts?

That’s obviously not going to work :). Unless you mean that the posts would only be deleted locally. With recent RS builds we can "ban" an author which deletes all their posts locally and prevents them from being forwarded to friends.
Distro

Re: Feedback

Postby matt248 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:34 pm

Distro wrote:RS does not re-hash all the files every 10 days, If it does there is a problem on your system (maybe a RS bug, maybe not).
My mistake RS re-hash all files every 15min by default (I´ve it disabled), 10 days are for remembered hashes for non shared files.

Distro wrote:Also if you are saying that RS freezes while it hashes the shared files, it’s also something that does not happen for me (well, RS 0.6 freezes all the time, but not especially more while hashing).
Are freezes caused because of limiting the used Ram?

Distro wrote:I agree but in the case of RS, what would you put in it? I’d rather get an option to remove the big icons of the toolbar in order to gain vertical space (RS always opens a window that is bigger than my screen).
IMHO I would definitely reduce toolbar icons size. If there was a menu toolbar you could remove completely the actual toolbar as that functionality could be accesed from the menu toolbar. The menu Toolbar could include:
File > Add Friend; Exit; Restart
View > Select Interface elements like icon Toolbars; and the menu toolbar
Messenger
Options > General; Network; File Transfers; etc etc
Help > Wiki; Links to the website/Forum
Distro wrote:That’s obviously not going to work :). Unless you mean that the posts would only be deleted locally. With recent RS builds we can "ban" an author which deletes all their posts locally and prevents them from being forwarded to friends.

I didn't know that =) Though I'd hope no friend would do that. Maybe an option could be in place to toggle hide/show deleted posts by other friends for a given forum
matt248

Return to Feature Requests