Offline Messages

Feature requests for RetroShare

Offline Messages

Postby deadlyquirk » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:47 pm

I run retroshare on a laptop, as do most of my friends. There will be long periods where we may be online at different times, and thus our messages to each other won't be able to get through.

I propose a senario as follows:

Alice, Bob, and Carol are mutal friends. When Carol is offline and Alice sends a message, that message is forwarded to Alice's friends, and will be stored by Bob. Then if Alice goes offline and carol connects to bob, she will be forwarded the message from Alice. If Carol responds, it will be sent to Bob and stored until Alice comes back online. If Carol's message is encrypted with Alice's public key, Bob won't be able to decrypt the message's contents.

Maybe if Alice and Carol do not have any directly friends the message can be sent out through several layers of the network until it reaches someone who is Carol's friend. If there aren't connections available through the wider network, the message would still be stored on Alice's machine until they were both Alice and Carol were online at the same time.
deadlyquirk

Re: Offline Messages

Postby SuZuna » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:03 pm

If im not mistaken, Retroshare already does exactly that! I sent a RetroMail to an offline contact and he received it. But maybe im wrong, and he only got it the moment I logged in...
SuZuna

Postby Imanuel » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:33 am

Yes, RS delivers the mail the moment you connect to your friend.
Messages are only sent if both sender and receiver are online and connected.
Mailing-through-the-network is not implemented (yet?).

Greetings
Imanuel

Postby arglebargle » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:40 pm

I agree with deadly quirk, the idea of distributing personal data to your friends so that it is available when you are offline seems like it would have many use cases. I know that freenet performs something similar except that where the data is stored isn't controlled by the person uploading the data, it is stored randomly through out the users of the freenet software.
arglebargle

Postby hbasser » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:05 pm

I think this feature is very important, since this is a basic one at other (social network or mailing) systems. If there is a trusted friend network with 5-10 friends (peers) or more, the chances of a single peer being online when you're sending a message is really high.

At the user experience level, we use long messages to be sent offline and we use chat when we're both online.

Logic: If the recipient is offline, the message gets dispatched to a common friend (or a few common friends) temporarily. It's encrypted by the recipient's public key, so it's secure to store in the cache of an offline friend (or friends). When anyone from these common friends is present when the recipient comes online (and the sender is offline), the common friend delivers it to the recipient and deletes it from their cache.

I join people posting above in requesting this feature. I think, the e-mail like Messages feature would be much more useful if this feature could be implemented soon (e.g. along with release 0.6). I personally don't really know the RetroShare codebase, but please implement it, if it's not a big deal and hard work. ;)
hbasser

Postby heini » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:55 pm

+1
heini

Postby kormosferike » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:16 pm

hbasser wrote:I think this feature is very important, since this is a basic one at other (social network or mailing) systems. If there is a trusted friend network with 5-10 friends (peers) or more, the chances of a single peer being online when you're sending a message is really high.

At the user experience level, we use long messages to be sent offline and we use chat when we're both online.

Logic: If the recipient is offline, the message gets dispatched to a common friend (or a few common friends) temporarily. It's encrypted by the recipient's public key, so it's secure to store in the cache of an offline friend (or friends). When anyone from these common friends is present when the recipient comes online (and the sender is offline), the common friend delivers it to the recipient and deletes it from their cache.

I join people posting above in requesting this feature. I think, the e-mail like Messages feature would be much more useful if this feature could be implemented soon (e.g. along with release 0.6). I personally don't really know the RetroShare codebase, but please implement it, if it's not a big deal and hard work. ;)

Basically this message, however there's another option aswell (or alternative/addition to your suggestion): It would be easier if the user could toggle on or off a function to work/act as a "pseudo/temporal-server" or "supernode". This state would be ideal to users with high bandwidth and long uptime (on retroshare). I know it somewhat breaks the decentralization, but the lack of offline messages is more troubling.
kormosferike

Return to Feature Requests